Wednesday, July 13, 2011

on happy memories

Yesterday morning I finished reading this book. It had several ideas I think I can use, though I do wish the whole thing were better annotated--there are a couple of references I need to write the author and ask for.

An interesting snippet:

"One piece of wisdom that didn't resonate with me initially was the importance of keeping happy memories vivid. But as I mulled over this principle, I realized the tremendous value of mementos that help prompt positive memories. Studies show that recalling happy times helps boost happiness in the present. When people reminisce, they focus on positive memories, with the result that the past amplifies the positive and minimizes the negative. However, because people remember events better when they fit with their present mood, happy people remember happy events better, and depressed people remember sad events better. Depressed people have just as many nice experiences as other people--they just don't recall them as well." -p.101

I'm sure this isn't universally true--I believe that situational depression exists--but making a point of good memories seems like a really good idea. Scrap-books seem like a stressful hobby, but Elizabeth Gilbert apparently keeps a record of the happiest moment of each day, which I may try.

Yesterday's moment: Sitting around with Logan and Dan at the end of movie night, after everyone else had gone, enjoying the company of two close friends who I adore and feeling the evening had been a success. Which it totally was. The conversation*, the movie, and the company were interesting, the food was decent, and I think I managed not to mortally offend anybody. That's a good evening in my book. :)



*may have managed to change my opinion on gonzo-docs. . . we'll see, I need to ruminate. Once I manage to not feel so threatened, it feels really good to let some new ideas in.

1 comment:

  1. I had no opinion on gonzo-docs; now I want to see more.

    ReplyDelete